Sunday 30 July 2017

Collaborators will be shot.

Ello there.

I've been doing quite a bit musically since I last posted, but came up with nothing worth posting. As a method, I've been recording stuff, on an increasingly busy and multi windowed wave studio. Stuff that I really like gets listened to extensively, and enjoyed.

You know, you can probably wank yourself off better than anyone else. You just know what works.

So this is music by and for me. I make this stuff, then loop it, and spend hours listening to it. Not really listening. Just becomes my audible wallpaper, and I focus in and out of it. If it really gets me, I save it. The recording PC gets put into standby instead of switch off, so I end up with a load of recordings that I have neither lost or saved. These accumulate. Sometimes I'll take a trawl through them. Sometimes I'll turn the PC off, or there wil be a power cut or something, and all these things that I couldn't bring myself to delete, but couldn't be bothered saving vanish. Apathy as method of quality control...

Someone mentioned Jonathan Richman's "Pablo Picasso" to me a couple of weeks ago. The first time I heard that song wasn't Richman. It was a bunch of German campers in a campsite between Haarlem and Zandvoort, in a big tent with an acoustic guitar. I liked it very much, and after being reminded of it, I thought I'd have a go at it.

It's absolutely taking candy from a baby easy. Basically one chord (Eminor) with what ever runs and scales will fit on top of that. Or not. John Cale's plinky plonk dischordant piano was a big part of the sound.

So here's a three layered tune. Drums, bass/rhythm, lead/rhythym. I;m really pleased with how fluently my hands were moving over the fretboard, and how well I've timed it, plus theres a bit of nuance there. They're not just straight scales.


There's a bit of tubular bells there too.

Still no singing though. I might get some vocals down at some point, but I'm a better guitarist than I am a singer.

And it's all me, except the drumbeats, which are usually downloaded. I can sequence midi drums but they sound shit, so I look on youtube for real drummers drumming.

All the stuff here is on a creative commons license. Please feel free to upload and use it. If you want to add vocals or keyboard or whatever to what I've done, please feel free to do so. Let me know what you do, and give me a llink, and I'll post it here.

I also have in mind a video. I know what I want to do. I don't know how to do it. But if there's anyone reading this that knows how to overlay seperate video/audio tracks onto a single video and is interested in making something with me, please do get in touch.


No comments:

Post a Comment